Saturday, June 6, 2009

One of the best days ever...

Last Wednesday, we had our 17-18 week doctor's appointment. At this point, I pretty much live for each doctor appointment, which sounds strange, but I kind of feel like it's the only way that I really know that there's a baby in there! I've been weighing myself weekly, and according to my Wii Fit, I haven't gained anything since March (I know - not the most accurate scale around!). Also, I haven't felt any kicks at all. And even though my pants can't always be buttoned and I'm just starting to show a tiny bit - you could easily blame that on bloating or chocolate milkshakes :) So, when you go to the doctor, hear a heartbeat, and can confirm that it's not the milkshakes making you fill out a bit, it's a good thing!

Matt was able to come with me this time, and I could tell he was a bit nervous overall. But what man wouldn't be at the ob/gyn? I was just excited because he would finally get a chance to hear the tadpole's heartbeat. Turns out I've gained 4 lbs overall (didn't think I'd ever be excited about GAINING weight), so that made me feel good. And then after a few questions, it was time to take a listen. A few waves of the doppler wand, and there it was, a beautiful strong heartbeat! 153-157 bpm. I looked at Matt, and his face was priceless - he just lit up like I've never seen before, and he was just amazed. We really just wanted to keep hearing it, but the appt has to end at some point :) So, the doc stopped, and then looked at us and said "You know, we have a couple extra minutes - let's take a quick peak". I was like "WHAT?!?!? - of course!!". We were not expecting to SEE the tadpole, so it was a very good surprise! And the last look we had at 6 weeks, it was just a kidney bean, so we were excited. When the image of our tadpole came up on the screen, I completely teared up. Matt was speechless. Everything was so clear - there was a baby in there! We saw its face, spine, arms, hands, legs - and it was moving around too! At one point, he/she lifted its arms and gave us a two handed wave (like when they do the wave at baseball games). It was awesome! Our doc said we could know the sex if we wanted, but I wasn't quite ready yet - we'll wait just a little longer 'til our big ultrasound in 2 weeks. But I can't even put into words how wonderful and exciting and just miraculous it was to see our baby, looking like a little human, growing and moving inside of me. And to think that this beautiful life comes to be from the most basic of beginnings, and just becomes such a complex and perfect living thing all on its own... okay, I know I'm getting all science geek and philosophical, but I can't help it, that's me. In short, I fell in love all over again.

So overall - it was the most wonderful day, and the most beautiful thing that I have ever seen. I don't think I'll ever forget it. I just can't wait until next time - 2 weeks and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment