Saturday, November 14, 2009

Not even close to labor

As you can tell - the hospital didn't keep me today :)

However, the fetal monitoring this morning went great. We arrived at the hospital and were there for about an hour. The nurses hooked me up to a couple monitors and did what was called a non-stress test - they kept track for about 30 min or so how the baby was moving as compared to her heartrate, and whether I was having any contractions. And all was good. The baby was definitely moving around and her heartrate was strong and coordinated with her movement. So, first test -passed! The second test was an ultrasound to measure the amount of amniotic fluid in my uterus to make sure the baby had a good 'cushion' and that everything was healthy inside. Fortunately, there is plenty of fluid around her, and she looks good. She's also still head down! Good girl! So second test - passed!

However, based on the monitoring, there was no indication at all that I was in active labor :( Darn it! I had only one real contraction the whole time I was hooked up, and a number of normal, irregular contractions that the monitor picked up, but I couldn't really feel. After many questions to the nurse, it turns out that all the contractions I had last night were just false labor, and Braxton Hicks (practice) contractions since there was really no pain associated with them. The nurse midwife assured me that with real contractions, I would know the difference :) So, now we just wait until Monday. I guess the magic 8 ball wasn't completely correct after all...

It's entirely possible that I could still go into labor before we are induced Monday night. And I'm kind of hoping for that. But, if it doesn't work that way, we are scheduled to go in to the hospital at 8pm Monday night to start the induction, and by Tuesday afternoon/evening, we should have a baby! One way or another, she will be here in the next few days... and I'm sure that we'll look back and laugh at all the anguish we've put ourselves through in the meantime just waiting for her to arrive :)

1 comment:

  1. hi Kim & Matt

    aunt jeanne and paula here checking on your progress. I was secretly hoping for a friday the 13th baby - cuz i was born on friday the 13th many years ago and it has always been lucky for me :) glad to hear you and baby are doing fine and hope all goes well once you are in labor. we will all be thinking of you - best of luck and can't wait to hear about the birth of your precious baby!

    Paula & Aunt Jeanne

    ReplyDelete